Saturday, October 07, 2006

I am now an American Cancer Society volunteer

I spent this morning at the American Cancer Society attending a seminar that said "I am glad that you asked". It was an informational session about ACS. It was enlightening. I didn't realize that the ACS was the 2nd largest contributor to Cancer research. I assumed it was KOMEN. I also learned that it focuses on the 4 major cancers that are 70% of the cases diagnosed. I didn't know that either. I learned about services, help lines, advocacy and their database.

Why did I go? Did I need to learn about cancer? nope. I decided I was going to reach out to other survivors. I have volunteered to service BC survivors in the ACS Reach for Recovery program. I am giving back. I begin that specific training in a few weeks. Sadly, the volunteer coordinator had 6 new names this week. She said they usually get 2-3 a week. I think about how many women don't call.

So, I am now a ACS volunteer. I believe in the organization. More then I ever did. I was impressed with their mission statement and their financials. I do think their CEO makes too much though.

May we eradicate cancer in my life time.

2 comments:

April said...

You Rock Janis! I love that you are giving back. You are going to help other women with such a loving heart.

xo, April

S said...

You're going to be great at this, J - you're such a good person for wanting to give back. Meanwhile, I'll just pray that they don't need you as much.
XOXO,
S