Wednesday, July 26, 2006

What not to Wear - Corporate Edition

Don't ask me why, but I get caught up in what people wear to work. I focus mostly on women. I think that how we dress is extremely important to how we are preceivied. I also feel that how we dress says a lot about who we are and how we feel about ourselves.

You may think this is shallow. I don't think so. I think it is one of those things that are 'unspoken'. Granted, many people can move ahead based on talent regardless of what they wear, but the rest where talent does not carry them head and shoulders above the rest I think it is very important.

I will see a talented young lady who will adhere to today's "Fashions". Tight shirts, layered, casual, and open toed heel shoes or worst flip flops (gasp!). The mother in me wants to have a talk with this lady and say...what are you thinking? You are not going to a party but a job.

Unfortunately it is not just the young ones. I see it creep up all over. I was in a meeting with a vendor. There were two gentleman and a lady. Both men either had on a suit or jacket. How was the woman dressed? She had on a top that was pretty but you could see her undergarments. The selves where capped, but minus well have been sleeveless. I thought her outfit took away from what she was saying. Am I shallow? or did the other men in the room feel the same way.

I work in a male dominated profession. I feel very strongly that we should dress as to not bring attention to any features that may be enhanced by clothes. (Bust, Butt or legs) I want others to focus on what I am saying not what I am wearing. Is that shallow? I don't think so. I think it is good sense.

I always feel one can never be overdressed. That we should always dress for the next level or position that we wish to achieve. I feel like I am a dying breed. That I am one of the last hold outs to dressing professionally in the corporate casual world.

What do I believe are the "What not to Wear" items ?;
  • Flip flops, open toe shoes, any heal over 2"
  • any pant or skirt that shows a panty line
  • showing any cleevage
  • any skirt where if I was sitting across from you, the knees must always be together
  • Clothes that are too tight (if you have to ask, then it is)
  • Clothes that are wrinkled (looks like one pulled it out of the hamper)
  • sleeveless shirt/sweaters, unless it is layered
  • Any print or style that is too casual (fashion test, could I where this to the beach?)
  • short tops showing your belly (or fat in most cases)
  • jeans, untility pants, t-shirts, tight capris, gauchos, shorts

You make think this is a silly blog. Why am I so passionate about this issue? I don't really know. But it is fun to be part of the fashion police once in a while.

1 comment:

S said...

I will admit I've worn flip-flops to work, but only once, I swear.

If the guy in the meeting doesn't hear you, it doesn't matter how cute you think you look.... I totally agree, business casual has caused a lot of fashion disasters!
XOXO,
S